Welcome to “Woodlands” Campsite at Gwaenynog Barn…
We are now open for guests with their own self contained shower/toilet facilities (Campervans, Motorhomes and Caravans). We can also offer ‘self contained’ facilities for all our onsite glamping options (Pods and Tents) so book now to enjoy a little hassle free luxury. Although shared facilities are not currently allowed due to the Welsh Coronavirus restrictions, we will be ready to offer the use of our recently upgraded showers, toilets, washroom facilities and SAUNA once allowed (rules are expected to be relaxed along with indoor hospitality from 17th May 2021). So if you would like to enjoy exploring Mid Wales why not choose us for your base, and plan ahead by booking your pitch for the Spring & Summer 2021. We’re not taking payment until 3 days before your arrival, so as to stay flexible in these very strange times – so it’s pretty risk free!!!
We have a FAQ page here, so read this before you book or if you have any questions, check it out first…
Please let us know if you’re travelling as a group – or better yet, make one booking for all your pitches, so we can try to group you all together. If you book separately, we may not be able to accommodate you being next to each other. Thank you. (When you book a group we can send separate payment links, if needed.)
We’re certified “Covid Confident”, and “Good To Go Wales”, which means you can have confidence that we are able to offer you a great venue which cares about your health. During the recent lockdown we have taken time to invest in new facilities and get things in place to try and ensure you have a wonderful visit.
NB: To remain as flexible as possible, we’re not taking payment until 3 days before arrival. (We send you a separate payment link, once you’ve booked…)
Offering a sense of seclusion, we are bordered by ancient woodland and hedgerows, whilst the campsite offers some wonderful views across our valley to view grazing sheep and some Welsh hills beyond. We also have a lovely woodland walk full of wild flowers, located within our own land, with the chance to enjoy nature trails, rope swings and den building!! Just outside the campsite, there are quiet country lanes, ideal for walking or cycling, or take on the challenge of walking to the top of Moel Drehaearn hill (245ft) – just 10minutes walking away, or Mol Bentyrch (335ft) – a short 10minute drive to the base, where you can enjoy awesome views across the wider area. You can also utilise other local public footpaths and bridleways that criss-cross the surrounding farmland so long as you adhere to the Countryside Code and keep dogs & kids under control.
For longer walks you can follow the marked National Trails of Glyndwr’s Way and Ann Griffiths Walk to enjoy a choice of low level riverside/woodland walks – going Eastwards to Pont Robert and Meifod, where you can buy refreshments at the shop/pub, or going West to Pont Llogel, with its small post office/shop, and where you can enjoy a packed lunch in the dedicated picnic area next to the River Vyrnwy. Or if you are feeling energetic take on steep climbs like the fern covered Alt Dolanog (280ft), or really stride out on a longer 7mile walk to Lake Vyrnwy with its many different activities and attractions (including water sports and birdwatching). You can join up with all these marked walks just a mile away from us at Dolanog where you can also paddle in the river or just view the 30ft waterfall over Dolanog Weir. With a little prior planning you can organise circular walks directly from the Woodlands Campsite (we can help with this), or if we aren’t too busy we might be able to drop off/pick up at the end of a linear walk (just ask when you get here).
We have OS maps which you can use to plan your day out, and we can offer packed lunches too, making a truly wonderful day out.
- Our partnership with The Farmhouse at Gwaenynog means that B&B accommodation for non-camping family members can also be catered for (subject to availability.)
- Don’t fancy cooking breakfast? Then let Gwaenynog do it for you – to offer breakfasts to campers & glampers, full-Monty is £7 for adults and £4.50 for children, or choose an alternative – served either in our Dutch Barn, Marquee or Outdoor Picnic benches, anytime from 8.30am. (If you prefer an earlier start let us know and we’ll try to accommodate if things are quiet in the B&B). So please check with us on arrival, or book ahead using the Breakfast Ordering page including Veggie / Vegan options here. We can also offer lighter options if preferred including Smoked Salmon/Haddock, Vegan Hash, or else choose Bacon or Pork/Vegan Sausage sandwiches at £3 per Butty. Just let us know or book here.
- We have a fully stocked bar onsite, serving draft beers, wines and spirits at local pub prices – price list here. We also offer meals to eat in our outdoor/marquee bar area, plus takeaway food options – see our bar menu here. Or else choose to eat in style from the B&B A la Carte/Table D’Hote menus served restaurant style in the Farmhouse dining room here.
- FOOD Ordering under the current COVID restrictions guidance: All food needs to be pre-booked and preferably paid for online, or else order by Text/Phone Call. You’ll also need to provide a list of names in your group so we can record this as part of the “Test, Trace, & Protect” process initiated by the Welsh Government. (Book as early as possible – we can sometimes accommodate short notice requests but ideally book at least 2hrs in advance to make sure we have your preferred meals available).
- We allow fires onsite but only with a fire pit (we have these available for hire at £6.50 per night – including wood). Or else bring your own firepit and we can provide you with the wood for £5 per tub – we will anyway provide a free of charge pallet stand for all fire pits to protect the grass, so please let us know if you’re bringing own.
- All pitches on the main campsite are on grass – however, we can also offer a more remote hardstanding if required, just let us know.
- The toilet and shower block is just a short stroll from the pitches. Chemical and grey water waste, plus fresh drinking water is all nearby.
- Waste – we’d be grateful if you would take your large items of rubbish home with you, (ie broken cookers, airbeds, etc.). We do have bins in the toilet and shower area, but please separate recycling and general waste. The bins are all clearly labelled.
- Dogs are allowed to roam on the campsite and our adjacent fields but must be monitored and kept under control at all times. We also expect owners to clear up after their dogs and have provided a dedicated bin for dog waste.
Price per pitch is £25 without electric or £30 with.
(Please note: A pitch means up to 2 adults and up to 5 children, with one car. So, if you’re a group of more than 2 adults, we charge an additional £3 per adult per night. Also, please book if you plan to bring a second car, as we charge £2 per night per extra car. You can book this online too.)
To check availability or to book, please choose your date and check for availability using the search button below. You can book either a standard pitch or one with Electric Hook Up (EHU).
How to get here:
We are co-located with Gwaenynog B&B so just look for the Gwaenynog YELLOW signs. As it depends where you’re coming from, we guide you only the last 2-3 miles to reach us – as your route will vary, depending on your starting point. (We recommend using Google or Bing Maps rather than our postcode to find us, using Gwaenynog as part of your search, as there are 8 farms on our postcode!! Plus it usually takes you to our neighbour, not us.) Your Sat Nav may suggest other routes but remember there are many very narrow country lanes which are also used by tractors and sheep moving between fields on local farms, so we strongly advise you follow our suggested route (especially Motorhomes/Caravans). The route detailed below uses more spacious A & B roads until the last half mile and we also have yellow signs on these last few junctions to help you find us.
So, starting at the crossroads of the A495 and B4382 take the turning signposted to Dolanog on the B4382; marked 4 miles to Dolanog. (See picture of map on left). Don’t be tempted to take the first left off the B4382 towards Llanerfyl as this takes you along a narrow lane past several farms and via a hairpin bend on a steep hill!!!
From further away, bringing you from Welshpool along the A458, we suggest you follow past Llanfair Caereinion, and turn right onto the A495 sign posted to Meifod & Oswestry. After approx 2 miles, you take the left turning to Dolanog. (NB: Please note that the B4382 shown between the A458 and A495, highlighted in yellow below is currently closed until July due to major water works.)
After approx. two miles on the B4382 (it does seem longer, but keep going) take the second left and head up the hill. It wiggles and undulates a bit, but ignore the first turning on the left, then once you reach the staggered crossroads at the top, please turn left – the signpost says Dolanog 1 mile to the right… (Any satnav will be telling you to turn right at this junction, but that is taking you to another farm, so turn left instead.) Look out for our yellow sign on the gate opposite the junction, and by the crossroads.
Our drive is the first on the left after about 300 yards, set-back from the road. (And there’s another yellow sign!) There are also slate signs with “Gwaenynog” and the drive is about 150 yards. Please then pull up in the yard and report to reception that you’ve arrived. We will then guide you to the campsite. Please do not go straight onto the site.
Our Ordnance Survey reference is: SJ 080112; or long/lat reference is: 52.690813, -3.362396.
Alternatively, our 3Word address is splashes.grazes.goes